History

13 June 1838 - Bishop Jackson Kemper visited New Harmony, held a service in the Twigg home and baptized the Twigg children: Charles, Eliza and William.

14, 21 October 1841 - New Harmony Disseminator: "All persons interested in the establishment of an Episcopal Church in this town, are respectfully invited to meet at the home of Judge Twigg at 3 o'clock p.m. Monday the 25th for the purpose of organizing such church and electing a suitable number of wardens and vestrymen."

25 October 1841 - Ten gentlemen attended that meeting: Thomas Brown, Dr. J.S. Mann, William A. Twigg, James Elliott, James Maidlow, James W. Swift, Obed Viets, Edmund J. Rogers, Rev. Benjamin Halstead. Five vestrymen and two wardens were elected.

28 October 1841 - Vestry met to open subscription to raise funds to erect church building.

23 May 1842 - St. Stephen's Parish was admitted to the Convention of the Protestant Episcopal Church of the State of Indiana.

13 June 1843 - Alexcander and Anna Maclure deeded part of the brick Harmonist Church and the Harmonist cemetery to St. Stephen's. The rope walk adjoining the cemetery was used as an Episcopal cemetery

6 August 1843 - Bishop Kemper dedicated the east wing of the Harmonist church used as St. Stephen's; confirmed Virginia duPalais Twigg (Mrs. W. A.) and wrote, "This is the first confirmation ever held in this parish."

1 November 1853 - Site selected for first Episcopal Church building on NW corner of North Street. Committee: Dr. Robert Robson, accounting warden; Thomas Brown, Andrew Wesler, and John Grant.

14 June 1855 - Building consecrated by Rt. Rev. George Upfold, second Bishop of Indiana. James Runcie, D.D., minister; wardens and vestry: Wm. A. Twigg, Dr. Robert Robson, Nelson G. Nettleton, Samuel Arthur, John B. Johnson, John Cooper, John Pollyblank.

20 September 1911 - Cornerstone laid for present St. Stephen's. The site was donated by Mary Mumford Thrall in memory of Eloise Mumford Claiborne.

26 February 1912 - Consecrated by the Rt. Rev. Joseph Frances, Bishop of Indiana. Rector, the Rev. E.L. Birchby; wardens and vestry: H. P. Owen, Nelson Felch, A. C. Thomas, E. V. Johnson, Wm. M. Ford, Louis Heckmann, J.C. Cartwright, Dr. David Donald, A. E. Fretageot.

St. Stephen's Episcopal Church
Coleman Street, London, England


St. Stephen's Episcopal Church, London, for which St. Stephen's, New Harmony, was named, was destroyed in a London blitz during World War II. The Church was of very ancient foundation, between the years of 1171 and 1181. This building was designed by Sir Christopher Wren in 1676. Among various monumental tablets, is one at the east end of the north wall, inscribed to the Rev. Thomas Twigg, who was curate for eleven years, and was then unanimously elected by the parishioners to the vicarage, which he held for thirty-three years. He died on the 24th of May, 1823, at the age of 70.

Contents © 2018 New Harmony St. Stephen's Episcopal Church | Church Website Provided by mychurchwebsite.net | Privacy Policy